Types of Visas in the USA

Double M Group

The types of visas are:

A – Ministers, diplomats, ambassadors or consular officers. Ambassador, ministers, diplomats or consular officers. 3 categories of A: A-1: ​​Ambassadors, ministers, or diplomats / officers; A-2: other accredited foreign government officials and officials; A-3: personal assistants, servants, close relatives of A-1 and A-2 visa holders.

B1 – The “Business Visitor Visa” is used by people starting businesses in the United States. The visa is issued based on the applicant’s individual merits; there is no need for hiring lawyers when applying for a B-1 visa. B-1 allows an individual to establish a corporation in the U.S., acquire property, sign contracts, etc; makes it impossible for the individual to directly control the business in the U.S., or in any way receive wages from a U.S. source, even if he is an owner.

The B-1 tourist for the business category is wanted by business people who come to the United States to participate in professional, business or commercial activities related to their foreign business.

B2 – Tourist – People with this visa classification are usually admitted for a period of up to six months and can apply for extensions. However, the maximum stay limit for this visa category is one year. When tourists enter the U.S. they have to fill out a form called I-94.

The date on I-94 controls the period allowed for your stay in the U.S., not the Consulate visa stamp. The visa stamp obtained at the Consulate establishes the last day that you can enter the U.S. with that visa. A leisure tourist cannot be employed in the United States.

C – A C visa is used by people who are simply stopping in the United States to continue their travels, or people in transit to and from United Nations District Headquarters and foreign countries under a special agreement.

D – Member of a group, which provides Maritime and Air services.

F1 – Foreign nationals can come to the United States to study at authorized institutions ranging from elementary schools to post-doctorate. As long as the student maintains his status, he can study and stay in the United States for many years in order to complete his studies. Many may also qualify for practical training after completing their studies.

When a student enters the United States he or she is generally admitted for the “Length of Stay”, and must obtain a full-time course at the school that accepted it and has been approved by the American Consulate or Immigration Service.
Students remain in status for a period of 60 days after completing their course.

G – Representatives who hold positions of outstanding leadership, who will work in the USA for an international organization and its close relatives.

H1B – “Interim Professional Workers” Visas are available to individuals with a four-year bachelor’s degree in the U.S. or abroad looking for a professional position with a United States employer.

The job must be in accordance with the prevailing salary for the position in the geographical area where the applicant seeks to work.

Visa approval is for an initial period of 3 years, and a maximum of 6 years. Canadian and Mexican members of certain professions can form an H-1B process establishing illegibility under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Internationally recognized fashion models can also qualify under the category of H-1B.

There is currently a limit of 115,000 of these visas per year. H1C – To obtain this visa, the person must be a nurse trained and certified by the competent authorities of the country.

H2A – Interim workers performing agricultural services unavailable in the United States.

H2C – Provisional employment based on an offer for a temporary position. Approval is conditional on evidence that the job is temporary and that there is no U.S. worker willingness, capacity, or qualification for the position.

An employment contract must be obtained from the U.S. Department of Labor. Approval is for 1 year only, with a maximum of 3 years attendance.

H3 – Employment authorization for the purpose of receiving training in a field that is not available in the applicant’s country of origin. The approval period depends on the nature of the proposed training, but not more than 2 years in total.

I – An I visa is available to a foreigner who is an authorized representative of a Foreign Newspaper, cinema, or other information medium, who seeks to enter the United States solely to engage in a type of vocation, and his wife and minor children that representative.

J – A J Visa is intended for foreigners who will exchange under a special program enacted in 1961. The program’s objective is to promote international relations, favoring the exchange of visitors to the United States, under certain recognized programs, to acquire knowledge that can be used in their home countries.

In accordance with this objective, a condition is imposed on certain participants, that is, that at the end of the program they return to their countries of origin for two years, before they become eligible to apply for a Green Card, and certain visa visas. not immigrant.

In other words, certain people with J visas cannot receive a Green Card without first leaving the US and residing in their home countries for two years.

To determine if your J visa is subject to the two-year residency requirement abroad, you should carefully look at the bottom left corner of the IAP-66 form that you received at the entrance.

There is a box with two lines. One says SUBJECT TO (Subject a) and another says NOT SUBJECT TO (Not subject to).

K1 – A foreign citizen who intends to marry an American citizen and who intends to apply for a K-1 visa must obey certain formalities, namely: (1) be able to prove by letters, photos, phone calls, etc., that he has already he had known his future spouse for at least two years from the visa application; (2) demonstrate that you have plans to remain in the US permanently after marriage.

The bride and groom must marry within 90 days of the arrival of the foreign bridegroom, otherwise they will be in violation of immigration laws. The application for the K-1 visa can be filled out by the American fiance directly at the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) and, once approved, must be sent to the American Consulate where the foreign fiance resides.

The foreign bridegroom on arrival in the United States will receive a work permit stamp in their passport. K3 and K4 – A new category within immigration laws that allows the spouse and children of an American citizen to be admitted to the United States in a non-immigrant category.

Admission allows a spouse and children to complete processing for permanent residence in the United States, and to be allowed to work while their cases for permanent resident status are pending.

L1 – The “Inter-Company Transfer” category is available to individuals who are owners or employees of a foreign corporation who have worked at least one in the past three years, in an executive, managerial, or special knowledge capacity.
The employer must be a U.S. corporation directly related, in any way, to the foreign company.

The L-1 visa carries a maximum approval of seven years, and is perhaps the most direct route to permanent residence in the United States.

For many L visa holders, this is the easiest visa to apply for the “green card.” Later. The requirements of the L-1 visa applicant must be continuously employed abroad for the past three years and have worked for at least one year before submitting the application, executive, managerial or special knowledge roles, to a parent, subsidiary corporation , or subsidiaries of an American employer.

The employer may be a company or other legal entity, including a charitable, religious, for-profit or non-profit.

The working time spent in the USA will not count towards the required year of employment. It is possible to use a combination of part-time employment for subsidiary companies in some cases. The American firm and the foreign firm must have a “formed relationship.”

This means that the American firm and the foreign firm must own most of the shares, or, when there is less majority ownership, common control by the same person or entity.

Third, the applicant must come as an employee in the role of manager, executive, or with specialized knowledge. “Specialized knowledge” refers to employees with: – Special knowledge of the company’s products and their applications in world markets. – Private and advanced knowledge of the company’s processes or procedures.

The applicant must intend to leave the USA when their stay ends. But, however, the applicant can also seek permanent residence simultaneously without negatively affecting the possibility of maintaining or extending an L visa.

This is due to the dual intention theory that applies to L visas (such as H-1B visas), making them very popular. Special rule for new offices People who come to establish a new office in the USA will receive a year of stay in the country.

NS will also require additional information about plans for the new office, such as: proof that office space has been obtained, that the applicant has the appropriate experience with the foreign company and that it will remain active throughout the transfer period applicant to the USA.

If the company wants to have an L-1 visa extension beyond the initial year, it must demonstrate at the time of the extension that this is to continue the plans described in the initial petition.

M – Vocational (non-academic) student, or his / her spouse / child.

N – Issued to the parents and children of G-4 visa holders employed by NATO, through special immigrant status agreement under § 101 (a) (27) (I); if you are a child, the visa will be issued for as long as he / she is under 21 years of age.

O – The O visa is intended for foreigners with special skills in arts, science, business, or sports, companions and assistants of O-1 visa holders, and for spouses and children of persons qualified for O-1 and O-2 visas.

The primary requirement for an O visa applicant is to have achieved the highest recognition in the profession or activity in which he seeks admission to the United States. Permission to enter the O visa is up to 3 years, but the length of stay is limited to the duration of the event.

An employer must apply for a foreigner with an O visa, and the petition must be submitted only after the employer has consulted with American groups of the class in question or, if applicable, with union and institutional groups.

P – The category P visa is designed for internationally recognized artists and sportsmen, but who do not have the extraordinary skills that qualify for an O visa.

The category covers internationally renowned foreign sportsmen who compete individually or as part of a team, and international artists who act as soloists or part of a group, which has received “notable” international recognition for a “substantial and continuous period of time”. P1 – Sportsmen or artists of international recognition. P2 – Artist or entertainment people in a reciprocal exchange program. P3 – Artist or entertainment people in cultural programs unique in the genre.

R – Non-immigrant visa for religious workers. This category covers religious ministers, professional workers with vocations and in religious occupations, and other workers in occupations or religious vocations employed by non-profit religious organizations in the United States.

The admission period is a maximum of 5 years. Initial admission can be approved for a period of up to 3 years. The applicant must have been a member of the religious organization for a period of 2 years prior to application.

V – The new category V under immigration laws allows the spouse or child of a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States to live and work in the USA in a non-immigrant category.

The spouse or child may remain in the United States while waiting to be able to apply for legal permanent resident status (Status Adjustment), or for an immigrant visa, rather than having to wait outside the United States, as required by law previously required.

Social Security Number – SSNO Social Security Number or Social Security Number (SSN) is a number equivalent to the CPF in Brazil granted by the US Federal Revenue Service (IRS).

The social security number is used for training, obtaining and verifying a person’s credit in the USA, an element that becomes necessary when buying a home and even a vehicle.

This number also serves as proof that the individual can work legally in the USA and is required in most American states to obtain a driver’s license.

Foreigners can only obtain SSN with the proper permission from the Immigration Service (INS). Student visa holders can purchase the Social Security Number, with the conditions to only work full time when they are on school holidays.

Subject to change without notice.


Contact Double M Group for more information.